Pirelli Calendar 2011 by Karl Lagerfeld

Pirelli Calendar 2011 by Karl Lagerfeld

During a press conference in Moscow this past Tuesday, Karl Lagerfeld presented his rendition of the famed Pirelli Calendar for 2011. Focusing on Greek mythology, the 2011 calendar includes 36 photographs featuring 21 different protagonists from the Greek legends. Models include Lara Stone (as Aphrodite, appropriately enough), Bianca Balti (as a Bacchante), Freja Beha Erichsen (as Apollo, Pollux, Orpheus), Isabeli Fontana (a Bacchante), Magdalena Frackowiak (as Athena, Estia), Anja Rubik (as Hermes, Terpsichore), Abbey Lee Kershaw (as Echo, Castor, Eurydice), Lakshmi Menon (a Bacchante), Heidi Mount (as Aurora, Amphitrite), Erin Wasson (as Ajax, a Bacchante), Natasha Poly (as Melpomene), Daria Werbowy (as Artemis, Penthesilea), and Iris Strubegger (as Athena).

In Karl’s own words, he (jokingly) claimed to have created “the visual version of Homer. I did with my camera what he did with his pen, although we understand that he probably didn’t use a pen.” View more from the 2011 Pirelli Calendar after the jump.

Pirelli Calendar 2011 by Karl Lagerfeld

Pirelli Calendar 2011 by Karl Lagerfeld

Pirelli Calendar 2011 by Karl Lagerfeld

Pirelli Calendar 2011 by Karl Lagerfeld

Pirelli Calendar 2011 by Karl Lagerfeld

Pirelli Calendar 2011 by Karl Lagerfeld

Pirelli Calendar 2011 by Karl Lagerfeld

Pirelli Calendar 2011 by Karl Lagerfeld

Pirelli Calendar 2011 by Karl Lagerfeld

7 Responses

1. James McCann says:

Good to see a man in there for once. A gold package is something to aspire to!

2. Yoba says:

The woman holding the bow is holding it upside down. Also, not that it makes much odds but the arrow is on the wrong side of the bow too… It’d be nice if the people taking pictures of things did a little research first.

3. KIttieAnne says:

Actually, it’s ridiculous that she’s holding the bow upside down. Most people know how a bow is held, even if they have never used one. We all watch movies and TV, we’re not stupid.

4. Alexandra says:

I think she’s holding the bow upside down so the part that’s resting on her head can do so.
    The arrow is probably in front of the bow because they wanted the whole thing shown. It creates a nice line.

5. Van says:

I thought “the part that’s resting on her head” was actually a headdress in the shape of the moon. I don’t know the names of the people themselves though, so I could be associating her with the wrong goddess.

Also, it does look like the bow is upside-down, but she doesn’t seem to be having much trouble holding it, so perhaps it was designed that way? However, I am wondering why you think the arrow is on the wrong side of the bow? When I did archery, that was the side I would have put it on as well. Though the fletching does seem to be in the wrong direction, it’s hard to tell for certain.

In any case, I very much enjoyed this.

6. Yebee007 says: